The Ministry of Health officials have on Sunday July 26, 2020 confirmed second Coronavirus death as Uganda’s cases continue to rise.
The Ministry’s spokesperson, Mr Emmanuel Ainebyoona said the deceased was an 80-year-old female who had been admitted to Mengo Hospital in Kampala.
The deceased is said to have presented with signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19 which included cough, fever, chest pain and difficulty in breathing.
Samples were drawn and sent to the Uganda Virus Research Institute for analysis and results showed samples tested positive for COVID-19.
Uganda this week registered its first Covid-19 deathThe Seychelles and Eritrea are now the only countries in Africa not to have reported a Covid-19 death, according to John Hopkins University data.
The patient was a 33-year-old Ugandan woman, from Namisindwa District, who was admitted to hospital on July 15 and treated for severe pneumonia after suffering Covid-19 symptoms. She died on July 21, the Ministry of Health said on Twitter on Thursday.
Since the pandemic began, 1,103 Ugandans have tested positive for Covid-19, Ministry of Health figures showed on Saturday. The country took stringent steps to try to halt the spread of the virus early on in March. It was one of the first African countries to impose travel restrictions on its citizens and others traveling from 16 countries it said had a high number of cases of coronavirus, including the US and UK.
It was also among the first African country to announce a ban on large public gatherings including weddings, church and Jumat services for a period of 30 days.
On March 18, schools were closed and public rallies banned.
Health ministry spokesperson Emmanuel Ainebyoona confirmed the new death and promised that “more details coming in a press release.”