KAMPALA, UGANDA: President Yoweri Museveni on Saturday addressed the nation on matters of national security committing to the surging kidnap cases and murder of innocent souls.
In his address, Museveni highlighted a number of key issues and below are key points to take from the presidential address:
• On the so-called disappearance of people, Museveni assured Ugandans that such cannot happen under the leadership of NRM. He says the army and police are trained not to be with such a culture of violating people’s rights with impunity.
• Museveni said NRA/UPDF is such a disciplined force that is why when they took power in 1986, there was no running away of political opponents. There was no looting, Uganda is a host of refugees but doesn’t generate refugees.
• Museveni said UPDF respects people’s right to property that is why it has never taken over Uganda House which belongs to opposition UPC party despite it being built using state funds. Says Ugandans should desist from mixing his NRA with such low caliber issues.
• “In 2018, shallow people thought they’d use crime to derail our progress.They started killing Moslems & people like Kagyezi, Kaweesi,Kirumira Kiggundu, Abiriga, women in Nansana,Entebbe & then leaflets threatening people with panga attacks,” President Museveni.
• Museveni said towards elections some people wanted to create a culture of rioting where they would attack buildings, undress women dressed in NRM branded T-shirts, attack police officers, attack vehicles belonging to govt and NRM supporters.
• Museveni said because of the misbehavior of attacking NRM supporters and their property and the criminal attempts to block the elections, it is why govt deployed heavily some elements of the army to stop the terrorists, killed some, arrested scores.
• Museveni said the talk of people disappearing should be ignored because it can’t happen under NRM which can’t hide anything, all people will be accounted for.
• Museveni said he has instructed govt to create a budget to tackle poverty within 3 million families every year. In 3 years govt would have created social economic transformation which is core to all successes and will take Uganda to live a modern life .
• Two categories of people were arrested 177 have been granted bail/released. Another 65 still in jail and being investigated. The Commando Unit that previously fought in Somalia arrested 59. Urges army to release names of these so talk of people disappearance ends.
• Apart from ideological differences, Idi Amin killed a lot of people. By 1972 the foreigners had agreed with us that Amin was a bad man. Ignore and don’t listen foreigners when they interfere in our affairs.
• Museveni said some foreigners are trying to interfere in the affairs of Uganda. It is these same foreigners who supported Idi Amin when he staged a coup, saying even if he’s not educated, we support him.