The Uganda national Beach Soccer Team- Sand Cranes has Qualified for the 2021 AFCON Beach Soccer Finals which will be hosted by Senegal this year.
Uganda’s qualified through to the finals after opponents Ghana failed to turn up and announced their withdrawal from the tournament.
Uganda was to play the western Africa outfit in a two leg fixture at the FUFA Technical Centre, Njeru on 27th March 2021 and the reverse fixture in Accra.
In a statement released by FUFA; the federation alerted the CAF that Ghana withdrew from the tournament citing no valid reason with automatically sent the Sand Cranes through to the finals.
‘Kindly note that Ghana FA has officially withdrawn from the Beach Soccer AFCON. Accordingly, the above mentioned two qualifying matches have been cancelled and Uganda is automatically qualified to the Final Tournament of Beach Soccer AFCON,’ the statement from FUFA’s official communique reads in part.
The FUFA Communications Director Ahmed Hussein Confirmed the latest developments.
‘We have received communication form CAF in regard to the Beach Soccer Finals. FUFA National Teams Department will provide further guidance on the team camped in Njeru. However we also need to know that there is little time left as the tournament in in May this year. We were supposed t host the tournament in 2020 but passed on the opportunity back to CAF to find a replacement. Now we have the right to play at the Finals’
Uganda that started playing beach soccer in 2009, will make its maiden show at the tournament.
About Beach Soccer and Futsal in Uganda
- Uganda Beach Soccer Association (UBSA) started with individual enthusiasm but has now become a very organized member of FUFA. We have continued to have beach soccer as one of our integral development activities.
- The Chairman of Uganda Beach Soccer Associaton (UBSA) is Deo Mutabazi
- With endorsement of new FUFA administration under Eng. Moses Magogo, the Uganda Sand Cranes was inaugurated in 2014 and funded its first trip to Zanzibar to play its first ever international match.
- Entered the National Beach Soccer team for international tournament qualifiers in 2016 and 2018 and Copa Dar es Salaam every year from 2017 till todate
- Organized FUFA Futsal refereeing course in 2016 training first ever 15 FUFA Certified Futsal Referees in Uganda
- Uganda never had FIFA Beach soccer and Futsal referees in 2013 but now have 4 International referees (Beach Soccer) and 2 Futsal Referees
- Created the Women Beach Soccer League in 2014
- Organised coaching courses at FIFA level and FUFA level for beach soccer and Futsal
- Uganda has a Beach Soccer and Futsal Instructor- Ali Mwebe
- Our FIFA Beach Soccer referee officiated at two AFCON Beach Soccer Finals (2016 and 2018) and Copa Lagos
- Helped to spread and introduced Beach soccer in the region (Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar)
- Appointment of 3 Ugandans on the Africa Beach Soccer Union (Deo, Mwebe and Nsereko)
- Uganda has Chairman of the CAF Futsal and Beach Soccer Committee
- Uganda was the first CAF member association to host the CAF Futsal and Beach soccer Committee outside Final tournament schedule, this was held at Protea Hotel in Entebbe in 2017
- Beach soccer is heavily played by Schools and Universities
- FAU admitted to the FUFA Assembly in 2019
- FAU Started the Futsal Super League and Futsal Uganda cup
- Attracted sponsorship for Beach Soccer League (Pepsi, BBS Terefayina, Kiri Soda)
- The establishment of off-shore beach soccer pitch at FUFA Technical Njeru thus hosting a FIFA beach soccer refereeing Course in 2019 and held a camp for Uganda sand cranes at the venue in preparations for Copa Dar es Salaam