The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA), has ultimately confirmed the sacking of Jonathan McKinstry as Uganda Cranes head coach.
The Daily Express had on Saturday, April 17, exclusively reported that FUFA had fired the 35-yr-old Irishman although FUFA later disputed the rumours and maintained that no decision had been reached so far.
The local football governing body has now released an official statement on Monday, 19th April 2021 confirming the departure of McKinstry as the head coach of the Uganda Cranes National football team.
“The Head Coach of the Uganda Men’s National team, Johnathan McKinstry, has today reached an agreement with FUFA to bring an end to his 18 months at the helm of the Uganda Cranes,” FUFA said in a statement.
“FUFA would like to thank Coach McKinstry and his staff for the work and dedication to developing the Uganda Cranes during their tenure.”
The Northern Irishman was in charge of the Ugandan national team for 18 games and registered a 67% win but fell out with the shots that be at Mengo.
This website has further established that the premature sacking of the coach would mean FUFA will have to pay US$255,000 (Shs943m) as compensation for the remaining months of the contract.
In March 2021, FUFA asked McKinstry to step aside at the start of last month (March) following a dismal performance at the 2020 African Nations Championship (CHAN).
McKinstry replaced French national, Sebastien Desabre who departed after the 2019 Afcon finals in Egypt but according to insiders, the Frenchman is expected to return to steer affairs for the Ugandan national team as the new coach.
McKinstry Games with Uganda Cranes
- Ethiopia 0-1 Uganda – Friendly
- Burkina Faso 0-0 Uganda – 2021 AFCON Qualifier
- Uganda 2-0 Malawi – 2021 AFCON Qualifier
- Uganda 2-1 Burundi – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 2-0 Somalia – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 2-0 Eritrea – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 4-1 Djibouti – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 1-0 Tanzania – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 3-1 Eritrea – 2019 CECAFA
- Uganda 1-0 South Sudan – 2021 AFCON Qualifier
- South Sudan 1-0 Uganda – 2021 AFCON Qualifier
- Cameroon 1-1 Uganda – Pre CHAN Tournament
- Uganda 2-0 Zambia – Pre CHAN Tournament
- Niger 0-3 Uganda – Pre CHAN Tournament
- Uganda 0-0 Rwanda – 2020 CHAN
- Togo 2-1 Uganda -2020 CHAN
- Morocco 5-2 Uganda – 2020 CHAN
- Games – 17
- Wins – 11
- Draws – 3
- Losses -3
- Goals For – 27
- Goals Against – 12