Africa News

Tragedy as Family of 24 people dies after mistaking fertiliser for salt

Salt. Photo: PIXABAY

A family of 24 people have died the same day after consuming a suspected poisoned meal after mistakenly using fertiliser disguising it for salt in their food.

The incident happened in Danzanke village, a remote community in the northwest state.

Sokoto State health commissioner, Ali Inname, confirmed that the family mistakenly used fertiliser chemical popularly called ” Gishirin Lalle in Hausa” as a seasoning in domestic family cooking instead of table salt.

He said medical personnel tried to save the victims’ lives without success.

“Regrettably, the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival,” Inname said.

“Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive.”

He disclosed that two members of the family who only tasted the food are now receiving treatment in a hospital.

ALSO READ:   Ex-Minister Kiyingi dismisses claims of fundraising for Lumbuye's release

Inname advised people to always separate storage sites for food items from other agricultural and cosmetic items, and to carefully check all ingredients and foodstuff before use.

Inname said it was very important for the public to know that the fatalities were preventable.

He said food stores should be secured to prevent access to flies, while cooked food and water sources should be secured.

The commissioner urged residents to “report to a health facility or isolation camp in your area early when you observe any unusual symptoms or unusual condition.”

Source: The Guardian NG


Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: You can send us a hint on: [email protected] Or Click Here join the Daily Express WhatsApp Group to stay upto-date.

Comments
To Top
Translate »