YAOUNDE, CAMEROON: Liverpool star Sadio Mane was the star of the night with a winning spot-kick as Senegal defeated Egypt 4-2 on penalties for their first ever African Cup of Nations (AFCON) Trophy on Sunday at the Stade d’Olembe in Yaounde, Cameroon.
Mane who had earlier squandered the chance to put Senegal ahead inside seven minutes beat Egypt goalkeeper Mohamed Abou Gabaski in the final spot-kick of the shootout after a 0-0 scoreline inside extra time.
Goalkeeper Edouard Mendy saved from Mohanad Lasheen in the shootout to allow Mane the chance to seal the win and gain just reward for Senegal, who had been by far the better side in the final but spurned numerous opportunities to win the game.
Egypt had their goalkeeper Mohamed Abo Gabal to thank for getting them into the shootout as he was outstanding in keeping Senegal at bay in what was the fourth time in as many games they had played extra time in energy-sapping conditions at the Stade d’Olembe.
Factfile for African champions Senegal
- Rankings: 1 Africa, 20 world
- Coach: Aliou Cisse (SEN)
- Factfile for African champions Senegal
- Team: Edouard Mendy; Bouna Sarr, Kalidou Koulibaly, Abdou Diallo, Saliou Ciss; Cheikhou Kouyate, Nampalys Mendy; Idrissa Gueye; Ismaila Sarr, Famara Diedhiou, Sadio Mane
- Results: Group B – Zimbabwe 1-0, Guinea 0-0, Malawi 0-0; Last 16 – Cape Verde 2-0, Quarter-final: Equatorial Guinea 3-1; Semi-final: Burkina Faso 3-1; Final: Egypt 0-0 aet (won 4-2 on penalties)
- Scorers: 3 – Mane 1 – Diallo, Diedhiou, Dieng, I. Gueye, Kouyate, Sarr
- Previous appearances: 15
- Best placing: Champions 2021 (2022)