Some of the bottlenecks this country is facing right now is poverty and corruption. These were identified by Eng.Sewava Joseph who made a courtesy call to the Office of the new Inspectorate of government,Hon.Betty Kamya Turwomwe today.
Eng Sewava who is the National Communication Assistant in the Office of the National Chairman of NRM Gen.Yoweri Kaguta Museveni.
Sewava reminded the IGG that both ONC and IGG uphold the values of honest and integrity which are very instrumental in the eradication of corruption which affects service delivery.
Betty Kamya expressed readiness to prosecute characters that will sabotage the implementation of the Parish Development Model which government is rolling out to fight poverty across the country.
President Museveni while speaking during the celebrations to mark the 25th anniversary of Transparency International Uganda (TIU) said that corruption is defeatable and therefore such agencies like the IG should be at the forefront of supporting the Presidents efforts to fight poverty.
The Inspectorate of government with its zero tolerance to corruption has been able to register many successes as seen below:
- On 28 June,2022, arrested and charged Mr.Faisal Kirya from Ministry of East African community at the Anti corruption court in Kololo for embezzlement of over Ugx 500m.
- They also recently arrested and charged the District Health Officer and Assistant Health Educator for Rubirizi district local government.
- In addition to the above,they also arrested Mr.Cornwell Muleya,the former CEO of Uganda Airlines with disobedience of orders.
- They have also released investigation reports on Misappropriation of Ugx 9b and. Ugx 1b by officials of Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries with UBOS respectively.
- On 29th June,the new IGG leadership under Betty Kamya started to meet stakeholders like district chairpersons to rally them to eliminate corruption.
- They have arrested and charged former Njeru council officers on 28 feb,2022.
- They have arrested and charged Maracha District Engineer at the Ant corruption court in kololo for embezzlement and abuse of office.
Also important to note,they have also made recoveries of Ugx 1.4bn on 25th Jan,2022, which was stolen through illegal compensation of land in a forest reserve.
Prior to that,Betty Kamya was the Minister for Kampala Capital City Authority before becoming a cabinet minister of lands, housing and urban development.
Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: email@example.com Or join the Daily Express WhatsApp Group or Telegram Channel for the latest updates.