BUSHENYI, UGANDA: At least one pupil was left dead and two others injured after an electrocution incident reported at Rwakashoma Primary School in Kizinda-Kigoma Town Council, Bushenyi District on Thursday.
Ronald Byamukama, 13, a Primary Seven (P7) candidate died on spot after a tent pole he was touching came into contact with a live electric wire from the nearby pole at the school.
The incident was reported to police by a Umeme engineer who explained that the school had organized a parents’ general meeting and visitation for pupils and hired one Nuwagira to provide tents for the Thrusday function.
It is alleged that “at the time of erecting tents in the school compound, Nuwagira’s workers requested some pupils to help them by holding metallic tent poles, and in the process, the top part of the tent got in touch with a high-voltage wire causing electric shock to three pupils.”
ASP Marcia Tumusiime confirmed the incident and identified the two victims currently admitted with critical wounds as Arnold Taremwa,12, also in P7 and Arnold Ariho, 12, a P.6 pupil.
He said the two still have some spots of burns on their bodies and are now at Kampala International University Hospital in Ishaka district.
The deceased’s body according to Mr Marcia was taken to the KIU Hospital mortuary pending postmortem.
Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: email@example.com Or join the Daily Express WhatsApp channel for all the latest news and trends or join the Telegram Channel for the latest updates.