News

Boy, 7, killed in Nakasongola petrol explosion

Police in Nakasongola District have confirmed the death of a 7-year-old boy who died in a house fire resulting from a petrol explosion.

NAKASONGOLA, UGANDA: Police in Nakasongola District have confirmed the death of a 7-year-old boy who died in a house fire resulting from a petrol explosion.

The deceased identified as Asuman Lubega was a resident of Kibuye landing site on Lake Kyoga, in Lwampanga Sub-County, Nakasongola District.

Preliminary findings according to police indicate that during the absence of the parents at around 8 pm on Friday evening, the deceased’s sibling identified as Hakim Lubega 8, used petrol to light a charcoal stove but since the family deals in petrol stored in small jerry cans, the petrol exploded moments after, engulfing the house in the fire and burning the deceased who was asleep, beyond recognition.

“Immediately at the start of the inferno, Hakim Lubega managed to run out and saved his own life. The house and all properties therein were burnt to ashes,” ASP Sam Twiinemazima, the acting Savannah regional police spokesperson said in a police statement.

- Advertisement -

Ms Namubiru Rose, the mother of the victim received the sad news and rushed home. She reported to police who responded in time at the scene of crime.

- Advertisement -

A case of arson was registered adding that the body was conveyed to Nakasongola hospital for postmortem as investigations into the case kickoff.



Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: dailyexpressug@gmail.com Or join the Daily Express WhatsApp Group or Telegram Channel for the latest updates.

To Top
Translate »