Crime

How six people were electrocuted to death erecting wedding tent in Mubende

Mubende, (UG):- The Territorial Police in central Uganda’s Mubende District is actively investigating circumstances under which six people were electrocuted to death as they tried to erect a tent at a wedding event on Thursday morning.

The incident which left the entire community in Mubende in shock occurred at around 9 am at Butawata market, Butawata “E” Village, Kigando parish, Kigandoo Sub County.

- Advertisement. Article Continues Below. -

Wamala Regional Police Spokesperson, Ms Racheal Kawala identified the victims as 19-year-old George Walusimbi, a resident of Rwensha village, Kigando parish, Kigando; 30-year-old Ambrose Kakuru, a resident of Lusanga village Kigando parish and 32-year-old Innocent Nasasira Kyozzo, a boda boda rider and resident of Kabateza “B” village, Kigando parish.

The incident also left 40-year-old Godwin Asaba Bidewa, a resident of Kigando village; 51-year-old Boaz Byamukama, a resident of Namugongo village Kigando parish Kigando Sub County and 22-year-old Jordan Ayebazibwe, businessman and resident of Butawata “W” Village Kigando parish, Kigando Sub County dead.

According to Ms Kawala, the deceased had been hired by one Nelson Otamugaya (groom) to erect tents for his wedding function which was scheduled to take place in the afternoon on Thursday, June 6, 2024, at Butawata Market ground.

“It is alleged that while erecting the tent, its metallic edge came in contact with electricity wires/lines thereby causing electrocution resulting in the death of 6. The deceased persons were electrocuted by three-phase lines,” said Ms Kawala.

“Our task team led by Mubende DPC, Uganda Electricity Distribution Company Ltd (UEDCL) responded to the scene of the crime.”

Otamugaya, a former teacher at Kigando Seed Secondary School is currently admitted at Mubende Regional Referral Hospital where he was rushed for first aid after collapsing due to the shock.

Ms Kawala said a case of rush and neglect act causing death has been opened up as investigations continue. “The Scene of Crime was examined and documented. Statements of relevant witnesses have been recorded,” she said.

“It has also been established that people in that area had illegal power connections. We caution members of the public against illegal power connections as it is life-threatening,” she added.

By press time on Thursday evening, the bodies had already been taken to Mubende Regional Referral Hospital Mortuary for post-mortem.

Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: dailyexpressug@gmail.com Or follow the Daily Express on or for the latest updates.



Daily Express is Uganda's number one source for breaking news, National news, policy analytical stories, e-buzz, sports, and general news.

We resent fake stories in all our published stories, and are driven by our tagline of being Accurate, Fast & Reliable.

Copyright © 2024 Daily Express Uganda. A Subsidiary of Rabiu Express Media Group Ltd.

To Top
Translate »