News

Kenyan Newspaper backtracks on CDF Muhoozi after erroneous, malicious story

The Chief of Defence Forces, Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba speaks during the 44th Tarehe Sita Day Celebrations at Kasasa playground in Kyotera District on February 6, 2025. PHOTO/PPU

Kenyan newspaper The Standard has published a profile detailing the military career of Uganda’s Chief of Defence Forces, General Muhoozi Kainerugaba. The development comes days after the same publication published a story that many viewed as malicious.

The updated profile, shared on X on March 4, suggests that the newspaper has learned of Gen Kainerugaba’s illustrious military career, heaping praise on the Ugandan military chief.

“Following our publication on Muhoozi Kainerugaba, fresh details have emerged on the General known for being both tough and fun,” The Standard posted on X. “Muhoozi, reputed to mean business, is respected by his peers and across the rank and file. Yet, he also has a taste for the finer things in life.”

- Advertisement -

Gen Kainerugaba, who also serves as the Senior Presidential Advisor on Special Operations, had earlier warned The Standard’s owner, Gideon Moi, that his business interests in Uganda would be affected due to the malicious article.

“I hear @StandardKenya is owned by Gideon Moi. He thinks abusing me is a simple thing? He will never make a shilling in Uganda again! We are going for ALL his businesses,” Gen Kainerugaba wrote on X on February 25.

Before that, he had posted: “We are taking action on NEO-COLONIAL media based in Kenya like @StandardKenya. It is going to be completely BANNED in Uganda!”

The Patriotic League of Uganda (PLU) had also announced plans to stage a major demonstration at the Kenyan High Commission in Kampala in response to the article.

Following The Standard’s posts on X, the PLU Secretary General David Kabanda said the planned demonstration set for tomorrow would still take place, though they were reviewing the newspaper’s apology.

“We are still analysing this apology, we shall give our response later. Our peaceful demonstration scheduled for tomorrow still stands,” he said.

Meanwhile, Kenya’s High Commissioner to Uganda, Joash A. Maangi, has formally requested a meeting with Gen Kainerugaba to discuss the matter.

“The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the recent publication by The Standard Newspaper of Friday, 28th February 2025, which appeared to disparage the office and the person of the Chief of Uganda’s People Defence Forces, contrary to the longstanding cordial diplomatic relations between Kenya and the Republic of Uganda,” the Kenya High Commission wrote in a letter dated March 8.

Send us your story or opinion on: dailyexpressug@gmail.com. You can also follow Daily Express on WhatsApp for all the latest news and updates.



Daily Express is Uganda's number one source for breaking news, National news, policy analytical stories, e-buzz, sports, and general news.

We resent fake stories in all our published stories, and are driven by our tagline of being Accurate, Fast & Reliable.

Copyright © 2024 Daily Express Uganda. A Subsidiary of Rabiu Express Media Group Ltd.

To Top
Translate »