Namutumba, Uganda: The Assistant Resident District Commissioner (ARDC) for Namutumba, Musana Richard, has halted the launch of the second phase of a classroom construction project at Bubutya Primary School after Shs30 million was reportedly spent on a foundation for only two classrooms.
The Wednesday meeting, convened to commission the second phase of the two-classroom block at Bubutya P/S in Bulange Sub-county, instead turned into a heated accountability session.
The district’s Principal Assistant Secretary, Balimumiti Ali, who represented the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), and officials from Kirongo United Investment Limited, the contracted firm, were put on the spot to explain how the entire Shs30 million allocation was exhausted at the foundation stage.
Musana expressed dissatisfaction after learning that the funds had only facilitated the construction of a foundation, describing the expenditure as questionable and demanding value for money.
“As the Commissioner in charge of Busiki, I am dissatisfied with the situation. We demand value for money. It is inconceivable that Shs30 million was spent for this purpose. You requested that I launch the second phase, yet you have failed to provide the Bill of Quantities (BOQ) documents for this project,” Musana stated.
The ARDC declined to commission the second phase and referred the matter to the State House Anti-Corruption Unit for further scrutiny after the contractor failed to produce the BOQ on the spot.
Balimumiti responded that the documents were available but had allegedly been misplaced by the district engineer, assuring the ARDC they would be availed. The engineer also admitted the oversight and pledged to present the required documentation.
Parents, led by the LC1 Chairperson of Bubutya Village, Wilber Kirya, accused the contractor of using substandard materials and ignoring community concerns during construction.
“The technical personnel and contractors are embezzling government funds meant for local services. It is unacceptable that Shs30 million was used to construct such a poor-quality foundation for only two classrooms,” Kirya said.

The LC3 Chairperson for Bulange Sub-county, Ibrahim Musolini, faulted district technical staff and the contractor for sidelining local leaders and failing to share the BOQ documents, which he said resulted in shoddy work.
Nikodimasi Nkoobe, who represented the District Engineering Department, admitted there were defects in the foundation and asked that the contractor rectify them before proceeding with the next phase.
“During supervision, I observed substandard work. I request that before commissioning the second phase, the contractor be tasked with correcting the defects in the foundation,” Nkoobe said.
Both parents and local leaders questioned why they had been invited to launch a second phase of construction when concerns about the first phase remained unresolved.
Musana adjourned the meeting without launching the project, insisting on full accountability from the contractor and district officials.
If you would like your article/opinion to be published on Uganda’s most authoritative news platform, send your submission on: [email protected]. You can also follow DailyExpress on WhatsApp and on Twitter (X) for realtime updates.
