The Uganda electoral commission on Monday started the nomination process for presidential candidates in the upcoming 2021 general elections.
Justice Simon Mugenyi Byabakama, the chairperson of the Electoral Commission, said 11 aspiring candidates were verified and cleared for nominations in the two-day nomination exercise held at Kyambogo University Cricket grounds, about nine kilometers east of the capital Kampala.
The Electoral Commission is expected to announce the official dates for presidential campaigns and the next year’s polls in just a few days after the nomination process ended.
“Upon successful nomination, the candidates will be free to campaign,” said Byabakama.
Final presidential candidates list:
1. Nancy Kalembe (Independent)
2. Joseph Kabuleta (Independent)
3. John Katumba (Independent)
4. Willy Mayambala (Independent)
5. Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu (National Unity Platform)
6. Yoweri Museveni (NRM)
7. Nobert Mao (Democratic Party)
8. Patrick Amuriat (Forum for Democratic Change)
9. Lt Gen (Rtd) Henry Tumukunde (Independent- under the Renewed Uganda Platform)
10. Maj Gen Mugisha Muntu (Alliance for National Transformation)
11. Fred Mwesigye (Independent)
Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: email@example.com Or join the Daily Express WhatsApp Group or Telegram Channel for the latest updates.