ELECTION AFTERMATH: Ugandans voted for their parliamentary representatives on Thursday last week with 353 directly elected MPs and 146 district Woman Mps.
Of the 499 MPs elected, at least 28 legislators have served 15 or more years in Parliament, making them the longest serving Mps since 1986 when President Museveni seized power.
The Daily Express brings you a list of these MPs who won the Thursday polls and a streak of the legislators who have been in Parliament since 2006 or earlier.
The list also includes those who lost elections in between the first term and the current term but were re-elected last week.
Among those who have had their stay in Parliament disrupted by defeats midway since but have been re-elected to Parliament are: Maj Gen Jim Muhwezi (Rujumbura County), Maj Gen Kahinda Otafiire (Ruhinda County), former Education Minister Jessica Alupo (Woman MP, Katakwi), Dr James Nsaba Buturo and Ms Cecilia Ogwal.
Seven of the longest serving MPs entering the 11th Parliament are on the Opposition side. However, Mr Abdu Katuntu (Bugweri) and Mr Elijjah Okupa (Kasilo) last year walked out of FDC party to run as independents and they won on Thursday.
Mr Wilfred Niwagaba (Ndorwa East) has for the second time been elected as an opposition leaning independent since he quit NRM where he was termed as one of the “rebel MPs”.
Meanwhile, the number of longest serving MPs may increase in case some of the incumbents bounce back in last evening’s special interest groups elections.
LIST OF LONGEST SERVING MPS
- Rebecca Kadaga (Woman MP, Kamuli Since 1989)
- Cecilia Ogwal (Woman MP, Dokolo Since 1996, Re-elected 2021)
- Abdu Katuntu (MP Bugweri Since 2001)
- Nandala Mafabi (MP Budadiri West Since 2001)
- Felix Okot Ogong (MP Dokolo South Since 1996)
- Betty Amongi (MP Oyam South Since 2001)
- Hillary Onek (MP Lamwo County Since 2001)
- Jimmy Akena (MP Lira City East Since 2006)
- Peter Abrahams Lokii (MP Kotido Municipality Since 2006)
- David Wakikona (MP Bukyigai Since 2001)
- Wamakuyu Mudimi (MP Elgon County Since 2006)
- Jenipher Namuyangu (Woman MP, Kibuku Since 2001)
- Elijjah Okupa (MP Kasilo County Since 2001)
- Jessica Alupo (Woman MP Katakwi Since 2001, Re-elected 2021)
- Abubakar Jeje Odongo (MP Orungo County Since 1996)
- Bintu Jalia Lukumu (MP Bujenje County Since 2001)
- Barnabas Tinknsimire (MP Buyaga West Since 2006)
- Matia Kasaija (MP Buyanja County Since 2006)
- James Nsababuturo (MP Bufumbira East – Joined 2001, Re-elected 2021)
- Chris Baryomunsi (MP Kinkizi East Since 2006)
- Jim Muhwezi (MP Rujumbura County Joined 1986, Re-elected 2021)
- David Bahati (MP Ndorwa West Since 2006)
- Wilfred Niwagaba (MP Ndorwa East Since 2006)
- Frank Tumwebaze (MP Kibaale East 2006)
- Gen. Kahinda Otafiire (MP Ruhinda Since 1996, Re-elected 2021)
- Bright Rwamirama (MP Isingiro North Since 2001)
- Anifa Bangirana Kawooya (MP Mawogola South Since 2001, Defeated in 2021 Elections)
- Theodore Ssekikubo (MP Lwemiyaga County Since 2001)