The East African Community (EAC) Heads of State Summit at the weekend appointed eight new judges onto the regional court, including two Ugandans.
The Ugandan judges on the list of appointees include Justice Geoffrey Kiryabwire, who will also double as the vice president of the court, and Justice Richard Wabwire Wejuli.
Prior to his appointment, Justice Kiryabwire was a judge of the Court of Appeal/ Constitutional Court while Justice Wabwire was attached to the Commercial Division of the High Court.
The judges serve one Seven-year term.
Justice Kiryabwire has only one year to serve at the regional court despite his promotion since he has been serving there for the past six years.
Also during the summit, the regional leaders appointed Kenya’s Peter Mathuki as the next Secretary-General of the regional bloc taking over from Liberat Mfumukeko, a Burundian, whose five-year tenure expired.
Newly appointed Judges of the EA Court
1. Justice Geoffrey Kiryabwire as vice president
2. Justice Richard Wabwire Wejuli as judge First Instance Division
1. Justice Kathurima M’noti as judge Appellate Division
1. Justice Anita Mugeni as judge Appellate Division
2. Justice Richard Muhumuza as judge First Instance Division
1. Justice Nestar Kayobera as judge president
2. Justice Yohane Masara as principal judge from URT
4. Justice Audace Ngiye as deputy principal judge