KAMPALA, UGANDA: Ugandan TikToker Resto Kalenzi who was last week arrested over a video related to the deadly attack on a school in Kasese has been charged with terrorism, police spokesperson SCP Fred Enanga said on Monday.
Kalenzi, 25, appeared in a less than-a-minute video on the popular social media platform bragging about being a member of ADF rebels that attacked Rubiriha Secondary School on June 16 leaving 37 students and six other members of the community dead.
The Buikwe-born TikToker further claimed that during the attack on Kasese school, they had killed “70 people even though authorities were giving wrong figures to the public.
This, according to Enanga is an act of glorifying terrorism and on that ground, he (Kalenzi) will be arraigned in court to answer the charges.
“He didn’t end at calling himself a member of ADF but he also recorded himself praising and glorifying the attack on innocent children and civilians. We are charging him for promoting and glorifying terrorism,” Enanga told journalists at Police Headquarters in Naguru on Monday.
Enanga added that in the same video, Kalenzi also claimed to have been part of the twin blasts in Kampala at CPS and Parliamentary Avenue in November 2021 and that they were planning more attacks, hence a reason to sanction the charges against him.
“A terror act can’t happen and you start going on airwaves glorifying it. It is one way of promoting terrorism because you are showing support and encouraging them to carry out similar attacks,” the police spokesperson noted.
According to Enanga, the file has been sent to the state attorney for him to appear in court at any time when ready.