Mbale, (UG): The Umukhuka of Bamasaaba, His Royal Highness Jude Mike Mudoma III has in the history of cultural institutions in Uganda assembled a team comprising of 5 PhDs as the highest qualifications and several Masters degree holders.
The cultural leader himself is the most educated cultural leader in Uganda reigning above the kings of Buganda, Busoga, Bunyoro, Toro and Teso among others. He is a trained Forester with a Master’s Degree in sciences specializing in forest and environment, plus a series of other qualifications obtained from China and South Africa.
HRH Mudoma has previously served as a member of the board of Uganda’s Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA), a position he was appointed to by H.E. President Museveni.
In his formative days as a youth, Mudoma was elected as LC III chairman for Buyobo Sub County and later as councillor to Mbale District Local Government. At national level, he had developed ambition for the presidency under the NRM ticket but bamasaaba elders urged him to concentrate on the cultural throne and allow Mr Museveni to manage Uganda at large.
“The Cultural Leaders Act and the constitution of the Republic of Uganda permanently bar all cultural leaders and kings from engaging in partisan politics since we are here to serve everyone irrespective of their political attires, maintains Steven Masiga the spokesperson of the bamasaaba cultural institution.
The Umukhuka last month unveiled his new cabinet consisting of 30 ministers, plus an extra six ministerial appointments for the Bamasaaba in western Kenya (under the Bamasaaba Kenya Chapter Cooperation).
Below, are some of the experience appointees in the Inzu Ya Masaaba Cabinet 2024
1. Dr Clet Wandui, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Research, Innovation and Development holds a PhD obtained from Khartoum University and is an accomplished scientist working on the famous TRID project.
2. Dr Kosea Wambaka, the chairperson for Planning and Sustainable Development in the Bamasaaba Cabinet is an Economist and Entrepreneur who holds several Master’s Degrees and PhDs.
Dr Wambaka has undertaken several consultancies with the government the major one being the Bunyoro oil pipeline project.
3. Dr Agnes Wache, the Special Envoy on the Bamasaaba Culture and Heritage is yet another scholar on the Umukuka cabinet.
4. Also, Prof Kerre, a Kenyan academic and politician joins the list of experienced Basaaba Minister after he became appointed to serve as Minister of Umukuuka Affairs in the Diaspora Affairs.
5. Dr Mwambu Paul is a commissioner in the Ministry of Agriculture and has a PhD in the same field. On the Bamasaaba cabinet, he serves in a similar capacity as Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Food Security.
Many Bamasaaba have often lobbied President Museveni to appoint him as permanent secretary on account of his hard work in the local government and now central government.
6. Steven Masiga, who is the spokesperson of the Cultural leadership of Bamasaaba is another experienced appointee on the Umukhuka’s cabinet. Masiga is the megaphone and an accomplished microphone for Masaabaland and he can be heard as loud as Bungoma in Kenya and the entire Bugisu including every corner of Uganda and beyond.
He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Education from Makerere University, a Master’s Degree in Public Administration obtained from Islamic University in Uganda, an LLB degree and is currently a PhD student.
Masiga also holds a series of other short qualifications in law, medical records, administration, and procurement. He has done reasonable research on local governments for over 15 years with the Uganda Local Governments Association and advocates coalition for environment and development (Acode )
7. Mr Samuel Watulastu, the new Envoy for Global Partnership and Strategic Development Initiatives holds two degrees, one being in social sciences and a Master’s in organizational leadership. He is currently at the tail end of his PhD program.
Mr Sam Kuloba, the Minister of Education, Literacy, and Skills Development is hitherto the commissioner of secondary education in the Education Ministry and holds an undergraduate degree obtained from Makerere University and a Master’s degree in education management.
8. Mr Richard Masereje is an enrolled advocate of the High Court and holds a Master’s Degree in Estates Management. Masereje was appointed by the Umukhuka to serve the Bamasaaba as the Attorney General – Ethics and Integrity.
9. Hon Vincent Woboya who holds an undergraduate degree from Makerere University and a Master’s degree was appointed as Minister for Disaster, Emergency Management and Recovery.
10. Hon Francis Mashate who formerly worked with the Uganda Bureau of Standards (UBOS) as its Executive Director holds an undergraduate degree in Arts and a Master’s degree specializing in policy studies obtained from the University of Zimbabwe.
On the Bamasaaba Cabinet, he was appointed to serve as Special Envoy to the Umukhuka on Government Programs and Climate Change.
The List of Ministers includes other well-accomplished academicians who have all vowed to serve the Bamasaaba community with their experience in the development of the kingdom and the Elgon region at large.
The Umukhuka Mike Jude Mudoma wants the Bamasaaba well served with these impeccable skills, he expects the appointees to act as a link between the cultural institution and the entire community.
Mudoma says one ‘s education can only be felt through his deeds but rather going beyond theory this time around.
The spokesperson of the cultural leadership, Mr Steven Masiga says they (cabinet) expect to work closely with the ruling NRM government on issues of relocation of landslide victims across the Bugisu region.
Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: email@example.com Or join the Daily Express WhatsApp channel for all the latest news and trends or join the Telegram Channel for the latest updates.