Health

Second ebola death confirmed in Kampala, 8 discharged

Kampala, (UG):- Uganda’s Ministry of Health Saturday confirmed a second Ebola-related death in less than a month, with the latest case coming just days after authorities discharged 8 people from Mulago and Mbale referral hospitals after their full recovery from the deadly disease.

The latest fatality, a four-and-a-half-year-old child from Kibuli, succumbed to the disease on February 25 after being admitted to Mulago Hospital with classic Ebola symptoms.

“Following the outbreak of Sudan Ebola Virus Disease on 30th January 2025, the Ministry of Health would like to update the general public about an additional positive case in Mulago, a resident of Kibuli linked to the primary cluster,” Dr. Olaro Charles, the Acting Director General of Health Services said in a March 1 statement.

- Advertisement -

“As of today, a total of ten (10) cases have been confirmed. Unfortunately, the first case, also known as the index case, and the tenth case have succumbed to the Ebola disease,” he added.

Despite these fatalities, health authorities have made significant progress in managing the outbreak, with eight recovered Ebola patients being discharged from hospitals in Kampala and Mbale on February 18 and 19.

“It is important to note that on 18th and 19th February 2025, the Ministry of Health discharged eight (8) recovered Ebola survivors who had been hospitalized in Kampala and Mbale. These were integrated into their communities, and they now live a normal life,” the ministry said in the statement.

To contain the spread of the disease, the Ministry has intensified its Ebola response, including contact tracing, case management, and the vaccination of individuals linked to confirmed cases.

“The Ministry of Health continues with an aggressive Ebola response, which includes the process of contact tracing, management, and vaccination of all contacts linked to the case,” Dr Olaro emphasized.

“Further, the Ministry continues with heightened surveillance efforts, including active case searches at all health facilities, exit screening for all outbound travelers, and intensified public messaging on presentation and prevention,” he stressed.

Dr. Olaro assured the public that the outbreak remains under control and that Uganda is safe for trade, travel, and tourism. “All travelers around the country are urged to adhere to the Ministry of Health guidelines and protocols, such as regular hand washing with soap/hand sanitizers and avoiding unnecessary body contact,” he advised.

“We encourage the public to remain vigilant and report any individuals exhibiting Ebola-like symptoms to the nearest health facility or call the Ministry’s toll-free line at 0800-100-066,” he added.

The Ministry continues to monitor the situation closely as efforts to contain the outbreak persist. The known symptoms of Ebola include high body temperature, fatigue, chest pain, diarrhea, vomiting, unexplained bleeding, and yellowing of the eyes. Bleeding is usually a late presentation after the above symptoms, according to the Health Ministry.

Send us your story or opinion on: dailyexpressug@gmail.com. You can also follow Daily Express on WhatsApp for all the latest news and updates.



Daily Express is Uganda's number one source for breaking news, National news, policy analytical stories, e-buzz, sports, and general news.

We resent fake stories in all our published stories, and are driven by our tagline of being Accurate, Fast & Reliable.

Copyright © 2024 Daily Express Uganda. A Subsidiary of Rabiu Express Media Group Ltd.

To Top
Translate »