Breaking

Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases as total rises to five

The development comes days after President Museveni announced the postponement of this year’s Martyrs Day celebrations at Namugongo over fears linked to the Ebola outbreak and cross-border movement from eastern DRC.

Kampala, Uganda: The Ministry of Health has confirmed three new Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) cases in Uganda, bringing the total number of confirmed infections in the country to five amid heightened surveillance and response efforts.

In an update shared Saturday, May 23, 2026, the Director General Health Services, Dr Charles Olaro said the confirmed cases include a Ugandan driver, a Ugandan health worker and a Congolese woman who recently travelled into Uganda from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

According to Dr Olaro, the Ugandan driver had transported the country’s first confirmed Ebola patient and is currently receiving treatment.

He also confirmed that a Ugandan health worker contracted the virus while caring for the country’s first Ebola patient and is also under treatment.

“The two cases were identified from known contacts under follow up,” Dr Olaro stated.

The third confirmed case involves a Congolese woman who travelled into Uganda from the DRC while reportedly experiencing mild abdominal symptoms.

According to the Ministry, the woman travelled from Arua to Entebbe aboard a chartered flight before seeking treatment at a private hospital in Kampala on May 10, 2026.

“She was initially treated and discharged in good condition on 14th May 2026, after which she travelled back to the DRC,” the Ministry said.

Health officials later received a tip-off from the pilot who had airlifted the woman, prompting further follow-up and surveillance investigations. Subsequent laboratory tests later confirmed she had Ebola Virus Disease.

“All contacts linked to the confirmed cases have since been identified and are being closely monitored and followed up by response teams,” the statement added.

The Ministry of Health urged the public to remain calm but vigilant and continue observing all recommended preventive measures.

“Report any suspected Ebola symptoms immediately to the nearest health facility. Early treatment greatly improves chances of survival,” the Ministry advised.

Authorities further noted that surveillance, contact tracing, case management and public sensitisation campaigns have been intensified across the country to contain the outbreak and protect public health.

The latest development comes days after Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni halted this year’s Martyrs Day celebrations at Namugongo over fears linked to the Ebola outbreak and cross-border movement from eastern DRC.

Uganda previously battled outbreaks of the Sudan Ebola strain in 2022, while health authorities are currently intensifying measures against the Bundibugyo strain following fresh regional concerns.

If you would like your article/opinion to be published on Uganda’s most authoritative news platform, send your submission on: [email protected]. You can also follow DailyExpress on WhatsApp and on Twitter (X) for realtime updates.



Daily Express is Uganda's number one source for breaking news, National news, policy analytical stories, e-buzz, sports, and general news.

We resent fake stories in all our published stories, and are driven by our tagline of being Accurate, Fast & Reliable.

Copyright © 2026 Daily Express Uganda. A Subsidiary of Rabiu Express Media Group Ltd.

To Top
Translate »