KAMPALA, UGANDA: The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) Executive Director, Dr Chris Mukiza, has dismissed reports making rounds on social media that his contract has run out.
Dr Mukiza when contacted on Friday said he was appointed to his position on March 30, 2019, meaning his five-year contract ends on March 30, 2024, and therefore there are no plans for him to leave the Statistics body very soon.
“We are busy with preparations for the national census due later this year,” said Mukiza when contacted on phone, adding, “Whoever says UBOS is in disarray because of a vacuum created by the alleged expiry of my contract lacks accurate information.”
The reports he dismissed indicated that Mukiza’s contract had expired, bringing into question the legality of his continued stay in office. The reports also alleged that Mukiza had not only refused to vacate office but had tried to lobby the Finance Ministry to renew his contract.
“I have not talked to anyone about the renewal of my contract which is still running,” said Mukiza, adding that; “claims that I met the President with the late Keith Muhakanizi for contract renewal are false.”
Sources indicate UBOS has been struggling with infighting among senior officials who are said to be jostling for Mukiza’s job when his contract expires. It is understood several of these UBOS officials are facing disciplinary action for acts of misconduct.
When contacted, Ministry of Finance officials revealed Friday that intrigue at UBOS reportedly led by staff who are fighting for top positions including that of Executive Director, threatened to undermine the national census project.
Dr Mukiza said the UBOS Board retreat, which ended on Friday, April 20, 2023, generated key decisions aimed at improving the performance of the institution.
He further noted that UBOS will use the Balance Score Card as a tool for managing and measuring the performance of staff, starting with the Executive Director.
This tool will be scaled down to the lowest-ranking members of staff.
“We believe this will upscale our performance at the individual level, but most importantly as an institution,” he emphasised.
The National Census Council chaired by the Prime Minister and the National Steering Committee, of which Mukiza is a member, will meet next week regarding the national census activities.
The two meetings are expected to inform further preparatory activities ahead of the census enumeration.
The national census preparations have since gained traction with UBOS mapping areas for the counting of persons later this year.
“We will not be diverted,” said Mukiza, in response to saboteurs, adding, “We have so far mapped 48% of the enumeration areas in terms of coverage and are working hard to ensure we complete the remaining 52% by the end of June as we draw much closer to the census date of August 25, 2023.”
Mukiza said for the first time in Uganda’s history, UBOS was mapping the whole country using electronic gadgets in the form of digital tablets called Computer Assisted Personal Interview (CAPI) that we also hope to use during the actual Census exercise.
In addition to Census preparations, UBOS is planning to undertake the National Household survey, which is periodically conducted after every 3 years.
This survey facilitates the availability of high-quality data on demographic and socio-economic characteristics of households for monitoring the development performance of key indicators in the various sectors such as Health, Education, Finance, Information and Communication Technology among others.
Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org Or join the Daily Express WhatsApp Group or Telegram Channel for the latest updates.