KAMPALA, UGANDA: The Directorate of Crime Intelligence in partnership with the territorial police at Lugazi division have successfully tracked down and arrested an individual who proclaimed himself as a member of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a terrorist organization.
The suspect identified as Kalenzi Rasto, 25, claimed in a short video that went viral on social media to have taken part in the terror attack that left at least 43 people including 37 students at Lhubirira Secondary School in Kasese District dead.
The ugly incident also left about six students and several other community members abducted, according to security reports.
According to Ssezibwa Regional Police Spokesperson Ms Hellen Butoto, Kalenzi a shop attendant and resident of Namengo village in Lugazi Municipality was arrested on Tuesday, June 20, and is currently in custody at the Central Police Station in Lugazi.
“We got him at around midday today and we are holding him at CPS Lugazi. Investigations are still ongoing,” she said, adding that detectives from the Crime Intelligence Division have opened up investigations into his alleged participation in the deadly terror attack.
“The Lugazi Police, in coordination with relevant authorities, will conduct a thorough examination of all evidence and gather further information. We assure the public that we are committed to bringing all individuals involved in acts of terrorism and violence to justice,” said Ms Butoto.
“We urge the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities or information that could aid in the ongoing investigation,” she added.
In a Tiktok video above, Kalenzi bragged how he was among the ADF terrorists that attacked Lhubiriha secondary school in Mpondwe, Kasese district last Friday.
“We killed 70 people even though you are announcing the wrong numbers,” he said.
He also claimed to have been part of the deadly bombings in Kampala at CPS and Parliamentary Avenue in November 2021, and that on the 27th of this month, they were planning more attacks in the city.
Later on, however, the TikToker who goes by the name “RastoBuikwe1” released two more videos apologizing to the families of the Kasese victims. He said that at the time he made the first video, he was not in the right state of mind.
The apprehension of Kalenzi, brings to 21, the number of people so far arrested in connection to the Friday attack which has seen the number of fatalities rise to 43 after another death was confirmed this afternoon.
Police Spokesperson Fred Enanga yesterday said the Headteacher and Director of the attacked Lubhiriha SS were among the 20 arrested within the area on allegations of having aided in collaborating with the attackers to successfully carry out their mission.
Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: email@example.com Or join the Daily Express WhatsApp channel for all the latest news and trends or join the Telegram Channel for the latest updates.