KASES, UGANDA: Police in Kasese district, western Uganda are holding the District Education Officer, and two other education officials in connection to the recent terror attack on Mpondwe-Lhubiriha Secondary School by suspected Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels that left 43 dead.
Mr George Mayinja was arrested on Thursday together with Mr Ernest Thabugha, the Principal Inspector of Schools and Ms Harriet Masika the Inspector of Schools in charge of Bukonzo West County.
In an update on Friday evening, Police Spokesperson, SCP Fred Enanga said the trio are currently in police custody on allegations of aiding ADF rebel activities in the district that could have resulted in the attack on the school.
“This investigation is broad. It involves the attack on the school and the people collaborating with the ADF. The officials are under investigation for their possible role in aiding the attack on Lhubiriha Secondary School,” said Enanga.
This brings to 24, the number of individuals so far arrested to aid in investigations on the terror attack, after police on Monday said they had arrested 21 people suspected of collaborating with the ADF rebels to raid the school.
Among those arrested earlier this week included Mr Nelson Bulotemu, the Director of Mpondwe-Lhubiriha Secondary School and the head teacher Mr Raimon Muhindo.
As investigations continue, the Minister of State for ICT and National Guidance Mr Godfrey Baluku Kabbyanga wonders why the school that has been in existence for quite a while and offers vocational studies and secondary education has only 64 learners.
While speaking at the burial of one of the victims last Sunday, Minister Kabbyanga said, “We are committed to conducting extensive investigations until we get to the bottom of this matter. Security and the local people all should be investigated for their role in this,” he said.
Mr Kabbyanga argued that it was baffling that a school that has been in existence for ten years could only have 64 students with most of them not being native to the area where it is located.
“Can you imagine, the school had only one student from the Bukonzo County West constituency yet that’s where it is located? Most of the students came from other constituencies. Why did parents in that community shun the school?” he wondered.
At the time of filing this report, the death toll resulting from the June 16 attack stood at 43, out of which 37 are students while 6 others are community members.