News

Mukono school temporarily closed after ‘food poisoning’ incident

MUKONO, UGANDA: Government on Friday announced it had temporarily closed Nankanyonyi Senior Secondary School following the incident of suspected food poisoning at the school which left nearly 200 students hospitalized.

The Thursday incident which threw the entire country in shock saw the affected students admitted to Naggalama, Mukono and Kayunga Hospitals, although no deaths were reported

According to the District inspector of schools in Mukono Mr Gerald Ssali, the temporary closure is to allow doctors to handle poisoned students as police also proceed with investigations.

“We have closed the school until Monday but those in the boarding section are to stay and be monitored by medical officials,” Mr Ssali said on Friday afternoon.

Ssali added that the situation was now in control and said although some students who had recovered and discharged were later readmitted for further treatment, everything was in good hands of the expert doctors.

“The children will be well. They were discharged after being noticed by medics that they were better unfortunately the situation was not well in the morning but they will be properly handled,” he said.

Parents storm school

Meanwhile, DailyExpress learnt that angered parents and guardians on Friday stormed the school demanding to take their children back but were denied access at the gate.

Moses Mukisa, one of the parents said he wanted to take his son for special care. “My son called me that he is not feeling well and he has not eaten. So, I want my son since the school has no proper food at the moment as it’s depending on donations,” he said.

Another parent identified as Moreen Nsubuga remarked; “The school should not play with the lives of our children. We love our children more than the school does and we can take good care of them, I want my child.”

Area resident Jackson Ntwatwa, who once represented the residents on a disputed piece of land, said the government should resolve Nakanyonyi land wrangles between the church and residents.

The Deputy RDC Mukono District, Mr Mike Ssegawa on Friday said they were yet to conclude whether the food eaten by the students was laced with poison or the food itself was contaminated.

However, the Church of Uganda later in a statement ruled out poisoning but rather attributed the incident to “a food-borne illness.”

“The Church of Uganda applauds the medical teams and well-wishers that have worked tirelessly to save our beloved Children’s lives. We call upon all people of goodwill to pray for affected students and urge all head teachers to be extra vigilant, especially on Children and Staff welfare,” reads in part a Friday statement.

Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: dailyexpressug@gmail.com Or follow the Daily Express on or for the latest updates.



Daily Express is Uganda's number one source for breaking news, National news, policy analytical stories, e-buzz, sports, and general news.

We resent fake stories in all our published stories, and are driven by our tagline of being Accurate, Fast & Reliable.

Copyright © 2024 Daily Express Uganda. A Subsidiary of Rabiu Express Media Group Ltd.

To Top
Translate »