News

Umukuuka outlines guidelines for imbalu media coverage

The spokesperson of the Bugisu Cultural Institution, Steven Masiga, said all media platforms intending to cover Imbalu activities will first be required to obtain accreditation from the cultural institution.

Mbale City, Uganda: The Bugisu Cultural Institution has unveiled new guidelines regulating how media houses and digital content creators will report on the upcoming 2026 Imbalu circumcision ceremonies, warning that non-compliant platforms risk sanctions from the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC).

Speaking to DaillyExpress through a telephone interview from Mbale City, the spokesperson of the Bugisu Cultural Institution, Steven Masiga, said all media platforms intending to cover Imbalu activities will first be required to obtain accreditation from the cultural institution.

Masiga said the move is aimed at ensuring accurate reporting and safeguarding the integrity of the Bamasaba cultural practices ahead of the official Imbalu launch scheduled for August 1, 2026.

“Firstly, all media platforms will be accredited by the cultural institution while ensuring that Imbalu reporting falls within the guidelines envisaged by the Uganda Communications Commission and the Electronic Media Act,” Masiga said.

Warning against ‘unauthorised’ Imbalu activities

Masiga stressed that under the laws governing cultural institutions in Uganda, only a gazetted cultural leader with the proper mandate has authority to officially announce or organise Imbalu programmes.

He warned that any individuals masquerading as agents of the cultural institution or soliciting funds in the name of Imbalu activities without authorisation from Umukuka Jude Mike Mudoma would be violating the law.

“According to the laws that regulate cultural institutions in Uganda, it is only a gazetted cultural leader with the necessary mandate to issue circumcision programmes. Anybody found doing so without authority of the Umukuka will be acting contrary to Section 17(2) of the Cultural Leaders Act,” Masiga explained.

He added that Section 17(2) criminalises impersonation and unauthorised fundraising conducted under the guise of cultural institution activities.

TikTokers accused of fuelling confusion

The outspoken spokesperson also took aim at some social media users and TikTok content creators whom he accused of spreading misinformation and fueling confusion within the Bugisu region.

Masiga criticised online commentators for allegedly creating the impression that social media popularity determines the legitimacy of cultural leadership. “Some uninformed media platforms and TikTokers have been fuelling confusion in Bugisu by creating an impression that TikTok determines the Umukuka of a community,” he said.

He revealed that radio stations and news anchors across the region had already been advised to verify all Imbalu-related information directly from official offices within the cultural institution, including the spokesperson’s office, the Prime Minister’s office, or the Ministry of Culture.

Masiga further warned that the Uganda Communications Commission is prepared to take action against media houses that violate broadcasting regulations or promote content likely to disrupt peace and cultural harmony.

“I don’t want my people to perish because of ignorance. UCC is ready to switch off any radio station found to be non-compliant with the law, including provisions under the Electronic Media Act Cap 104 and Article 29 of the Constitution,” he warned.

“As spokesperson, I cannot fold my hands and watch people pretend to be media practitioners. Media practitioners must know the law and promote peace instead of using data bundles to soil our cultural space,” Masiga added.

Preparations for Imbalu 2026 underway

The Bugisu Cultural Institution is expected to officially launch the 2026 Imbalu season on August 1, marking the beginning of one of eastern Uganda’s most celebrated cultural traditions.

Imbalu, a public circumcision ritual among the Bamasaba, attracts thousands of local and international visitors during the biennial ceremonies held across Bugisu and Sebei sub-regions.

If you would like your article/opinion to be published on Uganda’s most authoritative news platform, send your submission on: [email protected]. You can also follow DailyExpress on WhatsApp and on Twitter (X) for realtime updates.



Daily Express is Uganda's number one source for breaking news, National news, policy analytical stories, e-buzz, sports, and general news.

We resent fake stories in all our published stories, and are driven by our tagline of being Accurate, Fast & Reliable.

Copyright © 2026 Daily Express Uganda. A Subsidiary of Rabiu Express Media Group Ltd.

To Top
Translate »