The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Justice Jane Frances Abodo has revealed that her office rejected and returned back eight police case files that were sent to them for perusal in the ongoing investigations relating to the diversion of iron sheets meant for vulnerable people in Karamoja.
Justice Abodo while speaking at the week-long prosecutors’ symposium in Kampala yesterday said the files lacked some critical information to charge the suspects and therefore returned them to the investigations directorate for more inquiry.
“We received eight files a week ago, we read them and we found out that there were inquiries to be done and we sent them back to police to actually finish up,” Justice Abode said.
The DPP also revealed that she will expand her investigations to officials in the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM). She also said she will inquire into the entire procurement process before she wraps up the iron sheets investigations.
She also clarified that her office will not be investigating goats that were also meant to benefit the people of Karamoja as she will for now be concentrating on iron sheets.
Justice Abodo also denied allegations of selective prosecution of the ministers, explaining that some of the suspects could have given the iron sheets to many beneficiaries and that in such scenarios, they take a longer time to investigate compared to a suspect who gave the iron sheets to one beneficiary like a school.
“Some places are far away, so it’s not about the in-out method. If there is evidence, we actually take a particular file to court but if not ready, we ask police to carry out further inquiries.”
The development comes just a day after Police Spokesperson Fred Enanga on Monday said that police were almost through with the inquiry and investigations into the Iron Sheets Scandal and that they were only waiting for the DPP’s decision to act.
The scandal has so far seen three ministers; Mary Goretti Kitutu (Karamoja Affairs) Amos Lugoloobi (State for Finance, Planning and Economic Development) and Agnes Nandutu (junior minister for Karamoja Affairs) arraigned and charged before the Anti-Corruption Court with a long list of ministers and MPs including top government officials sucked in the saga.
Other officials charged include Kitutu’s brother Mr Michael Naboya, and Mr Joshua Abaho, the senior assistant secretary in the Ministry of Karamoja Affairs who is expected to appear tomorrow before the Anti-Corruption Court Magistrate.
Below is a full list of MPs, Ministers in the Karamoja Iron Sheets Saga
- Jessica Alupo Vice President
- Anita Among Speaker of Parliament
- Robinah Nabbanja Prime Minister
- Rebecca Kadaga First Deputy Prime Minister/Minister for East African Affairs
- Rukia Isanga Nakadama Second Deputy Prime Minister/Minister without Portfolio
- Matia Kasaija Minister for Finance Planning and Economic Development
- Judith Nabakooba Minister for Lands, Housing and Urban Development
- Kitutu Mary Goretti Minister for Karamoja Affairs
- Dennis Hamson Obua Government Chief Whip
- Rose Lilly Akello Minister for Ethics and Integrity
- Grace Kwiyucwinyi Minister of State for Northern Uganda
- Agnes Nandutu Minister of State for Karamoja
- Jennifer Namuyangu Minsiter of State for Bunyoro
- Amos Lugoloobi Minister of State for Finance (Planning)
- Esther Anyakun State Minister for Relief and Disaster Preparedness
- Alice Kaboyo State Minister for Luweero/Rwenzori
- Grace Mary Mugasa State Minister for Public Service
- Fred Bwino Kyakulaga State Minister for Agriculture
- Moriku Kaducu State Minister for Primary Education
- Henry Musasizi State Minister for Finance (General Duties)
- Aisha Sekindi Minister of State for Water
- Fred Byamukama Minister of State for Transport
- Jacob Oboth-Oboth Minister of State for Defence
- Obiga Kania MP, Terego East County, Terego
- Joab Businge MP, Masindi Municipality
- Pius Wakabi MP, Bugahya County, Hoima District
- Stephen Aseera MP Bugangazi East County, Kikuube
- Jennifer Mbabazi District Woman MP, Kagadi
- Akiiki Asiimwe District Woman MP, Masindi
- Kenneth Kiiza MP Bujenje County, Masindi
- Aled Akuguzibwe MP Buruuli County Masindi
- Jacob Karubanga MP, Kibanda South, Kiryandongo
- Barnabas Tinkasimire MP, Buyaga West, Kagadi
- Harriet Businge District Woman MP, Hoima
- David Karubanga MP, Kigorobya County, Hoima
- Noeline Kisembo District Woman MP, Kibaale
- Josephat Tumwesigye MP, Bugangazi South Kakumiro
- Emely Kugonza MP, Buyanja East County, Kibaale
- Linos Ngompek MP, Kibanda North, Kiryandongo
- Flora Natumanya District Woman MP, Kikuube
- Eric Musana MP, Buyaga East County, Kagadi
- Joseph Ruyonga MP, Hoima West Division, Hoima City
- Hellen Kahunde District Woman MP, Kiryandongo
- Norah Bigirwa District Woman MP, Buliisa
- Aisha Black Agaba MP, Bugangaizi East
- Dr Patrick Isingoma MP, Hoima East Division, Hoima City
- Agnes Kirabo Youth MP Central Region
- Francis Twinomujuni MP, Buhaguzi County, Kikuube
- Julius Maganda Unclear
- Asinansi Nyakato District Woman MP, Hoima City
- Paul Omara MP, Otuke County
- Ruth Mold Lemetia Unclear
- Cissy Namujju District Woman MP, Lwengo
Do you have a story or an opinion to share? Email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org Or join the Daily Express WhatsApp channel for all the latest news and trends or join the Telegram Channel for the latest updates.